So for the One Skein Exchange they sent each of us a list of questions to answer for our secret pal. I sent the answers to my pal but I thought it might be fun to post them here too. additions to my email are in italics
- Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer– brand, type, color, fiber, whatever…)?
Somehow, I didn’t answer this in my email, I guess since I don’t know the answer. Maybe this question is a little too abstract for me.
- What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with?
My favorite color is green but I really like multihued yarn – either all different colors or many variations of the same color.
- Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?
Yes, I use variegated yarn for a lot of projects. I get intimidated by thing like lacework and cables so I find that the color variation adds a feeling of texture to garments even if they are just created with stockinette stitch. I am getting more confident with pattern though.
- Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?
I mostly like natural fibers and although cotton is natural I tend to use more wool (from all kinds of animals).
- Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn?
Regardless of the way the skein is packaged I nearly always ball my yarn. That was how I was taught so that is what I do – even though my Grandmother tells me you don’t have to do it that way anymore.
- Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them?
I have used an organic yarn to dye but I’ve never knitted anything with it. I believe in organic farming – we eat almost exclusively organic food – so I’d be happy to try organic yarn.
- How many and what projects have you made in the last year?
Wow, well this isn’t necessarily a fair representation since in the last year I was pregnant while caring for a two year old and then caring for a newborn and a three year old. I’d say I’ve finished maybe 6-10 items in the last year, although very few garments. I make a lot of stuff for kids (mine and others) and other decorative things. I’ve been into felting recently.
- Will you be knitting any gifts this year?
I will definitely be knitting gifts, I have some on needles right now.
- What is your favorite one skein project?
To be honest I haven’t knit any of them yet. I really think the cupcakes are adorable. I’ll probably make one of the totes/handbags or bowls first.
- How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?
Hmm, will my husband be reading this??? I store my stash in a rubbermaid container and I think it’s not too bad. I have a whole bunch of Lion Brand Homespun that was a very large impulse buy (and I have no idea what I’ll do with it) but everything else is pretty much left over from or intended for a project. reference the pictures in this post
- Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it?
I don’t think so.
- Do you knit less or differently in the summer?
I think I might knit more in the summer because we go on vacation and there is someone else to help watch the kids. Plus I always give my niece a sweater for her birthday and it’s in August.
- Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?
I don’t belong to any groups. Actually I am a memeber of the One Skein knit-along.