Katie has been bugging me about getting her some nightgowns. I think it started when I brought home some new ones for myself. In fact the other day she got one of my nightgowns out of the hamper and put it on — with a t-shirt over top since the neckline was around her waist — and wanted to sleep in it. Have you ever been shopping for nightgowns for a four-year-old? It is a fine example of what is wrong with the US children’s clothing market. Because of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission’s stringent flammability standard all the nightgowns I can find are scratchy and stiff. Looking like Disney World exploded on them is also a drawback. Seriously, must our underwear and pajamas be merchandise tie-ins?
So, I told Katie I would make her some nightgowns and last night while I was waiting for my sewing machine repairman to get home from work and help with my broken even-feed foot I decided to give it a go. I had already decided to try the first version in muslin since it is cool, soft, and cheap. I also decided that I could use the smock pattern as a starting point. I didn’t want to do a facing on the neck though, the bias tape on the sleeves, or the button in the back. Because of the plainness of the muslin I decided to add a raw-edged ruffle at the neck, arms, and hem. I also needed to increase the overall length.
I used my new serger to make the ruffles and can I say again how much I love that thing. Meanwhile, the regular machine in a jealous fit of range started spitting tiny metal discs from the pedal — I am not kidding. This, after it already destroyed the aforementioned walking foot when I was quilting on a deadline. Stefan says to me, You need to call your mom and find out if she really wants you to repair that piece of junk. Hopefully today the machine will be feeling better and I can finally finish my half quilted doll quilts — unfortunately each is half quilted instead of one being fully quilted — and get some binding on. A new soft nightgown though, that’s definitely going to be on tonight.
Edited to add: the cat is from Josie which she very kindly sent me from a drawing on her blog. As you can see I am no longer the owner of said cat. Thanks Josie! Now, why can’t I be so lucky with my sewing machine, arghh….
Pattern: Adapted from Burda 3026 but really my own, I guess.
Yardage: less than one yard
Modifications: To avoid the button closure I made two front pieces which I lengthened by about 4 inches. Then I increased the size of the neck and arm openings. I also added a raw edged ruffle to all openings omitting any facings called for in the pattern.