I realize that there are only so many nightgowns a person can bear and that you all may be rapidly reaching your limit but if you indulge me one more time I promise there won’t be anymore for a while. That, or I’ll be renaming my blog Nightgowns “R” Us — why do they do those quotes like that? Anyway, I followed this tutorial for a pillowcase dress — appropriate for a nightgown, don’t you think? — that I found via Alicia‘s post about the adorable PJs she made for their recent vacation.
I was using yardage, not pillowcases, so I just measured a standard pillowcase from the linen closet to know how wide to cut the fabric. For the length I measured one of Katrina’s dresses from shoulder to hem and used that for the length measurement — you lose some length in the casing and in the hem. One thing I love about making Katrina nightgowns is that they don’t have to be perfect — they are sleepwear for a four-year-old after all. The bias tape I used is probably a little wide, the elastic is definitely wider than I should have used but it was all in my stash of supplies so it’s what worked. Another thing I love is that these fabrics were either remnants or on clearance so I think each nightgown cost like $3 to make. Especially good since I spent a little bit more than $3 on the kids at a local boutique this weekend. I have fabric for two more summer nightgowns but I promise I won’t show them to you for a few weeks at least. In the meantime, here’s an action — or maybe a non-action — shot: