Knock on Wood

Last Saturday I was talking to my mom at Gabrielle’s birthday party and mentioned how I was surprised that we hadn’t been to the hospital with Tristan given his wild-man nature. I immediately went to knock on wood and the only wood-ish thing available was a polyethylene table. Turns out I should have found some of the real stuff.

The Patient

While waiting for me to put the toothpaste on his toothbrush last night, mister can’t-be-still was jumping around and came down hard and his chin met the counter. I cannot tell you how many times this kid ends up with a bloody mouth — it’s amazing to me that he has any teeth. I could tell he really hurt himself this time and once he let me have a look it seemed he might have bitten all the way through his lip — sorry if you’re squeamish like poor Papa who had to leave the room. Papa called our doctor and I got the bleeding to stop. Meanwhile, Tristan was flying high on an adrenaline rush. The unfortunate news from the doctor after hearing the case was that he needed to go to the ER to get it checked. Uggh.

To make a long story a bit shorter, it turns out he didn’t bite through so he didn’t need stitches. He was absolutely adorable and charmed the entire ER staff. One woman walked out of our room and said to anyone who would listen, He’s so cute! They gave him a popsicle after he was examined and he enjoyed it for about 2 minutes before it started to sting his lip — poor guy — and he cried that we were leaving the doctor house. Now he’s sleeping late with a big fat lip. I promise, more craft, less gore, tomorrow.


10 Responses to “Knock on Wood”

  1. 1 aliciaalferman August 19, 2008 at 9:14 am

    he and N would be peas in a pod.

    SOOOOO glad he’s ok, though.

  2. 2 Sarah August 19, 2008 at 10:15 am

    Awwwwwww! And he IS really cute! 8<]

  3. 3 melissa August 19, 2008 at 10:51 am

    Awww. We’ve had 2 ER visits with little boy. Once he ate the dog’s sedatives as we were trying to get out of town and had a $100 nap at the ER, then again this spring after 72 hours of vomiting. Not fun. On the other hand, we’re old pros at ER visits now. Glad that he didn’t need stitches!

  4. 4 Anina August 19, 2008 at 11:05 am

    He is cute! I glad he’s OK. And good for you for remembering to take a photo.

  5. 5 erin August 19, 2008 at 11:34 am

    good thing he didn’t need stitches! when that happened to kate, they had to sedate her and of course, she had just eaten breakfast so we had to wait. try spending 7 hours in the ER with a 2 year old. oy.

  6. 6 Victoria August 19, 2008 at 12:29 pm

    Glad to hear he is doing better. My lil’ guy is always doing crazy things. They would be great friends I’m sure!

  7. 7 Jennifer August 19, 2008 at 2:24 pm

    Poor guy! Glad it wasn’t very serious and all’s well that ends well.

  8. 8 Sonya August 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

    Why oh why do these things ALWAYS seem to happen around bed or dinner time? Poor little guy and poor mama and papa! Glad to hear he is better and no stitches.

  9. 9 Liz August 19, 2008 at 6:51 pm

    I’m so glad he didn’t bite all the way through and didn’t need stitches! Youch!

  10. 10 amandajean August 19, 2008 at 11:26 pm

    this is bringing back memories of my son last summer….he bit his tongue almost all the way through. Tristan is a cutie. I can see why he charmed them all. 🙂

Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos

Mama Urchin. Get yours at

With Friends…